Are you contributing to the NHS’s efforts to decarbonise its services and supply chain? This session brings together industry leaders, experts, and innovators to learn about current and emerging solutions that can contribute towards the NHS’s Net Zero aim.
The NHS represents more than 5% of the UK’s total carbon footprint, around 27 million tons of carbon each year.
Local NHS trusts are leading the way in exploring partnerships and opportunities to tackle the climate emergency. The need for innovative solutions from business is critical to help reduce or eliminate carbon emissions across the NHS.
The NHS Trusts have been tasked with Delivering a ‘Net Zero’ National Health Service with the following objectives:
- For the emissions the NHS control directly (the NHS Carbon Footprint), net zero by 2040, with an ambition to reach an 80% reduction by 2028 to 2032.
- For the emissions the NHS can influence (our NHS Carbon Footprint Plus), net zero by 2045, with an ambition to reach an 80% reduction by 2036 to 2039.
This interactive innovation challenge workshop, delivered by the AHSN and Innovation SuperNetwork, will provide attendees with the opportunity to learn about the NHS’s Green Plan. It will also enable attendees to participate in round tables to explore opportunities for improved carbon reduction in three key areas, these are:
- Energy efficiency & sustainability in the built environment,
- The impact of waste in the NHS and how to manage it, and
- New standard procurement criteria for sustainable services into the NHS.
Speakers confirmed for the session are:
Dr Clare Winter MIEMA CEnv – Lead Senior Net Zero Programme Manager, North East and North Cumbria Integrated Care System
Mike Blades – Energy & Sustainability Officer, Northumbria Healthcare Trust and Chair of the ICS Sub Energy Committee
Dr Matthew Sawyer – Practicing GP and Director, SEE Sustainability
Lee Jackson AIEMA – Commercial Director, SmartCarbon Ltd
Who should attend the workshop?
- NHS staff including Estate Managers, Sustainability Leads, Innovation Managers and GP Practice Managers.
- Companies that are part of the NHS Supply Chain.
- SME’s and inventors with a passion for innovation and developing new solutions to reduce our economy’s carbon footprint.
- Other leads from large scale organisation and service providers who are on their own journey towards Net Zero and want to learn from the NHS’s insights.
This challenge will run from 1pm – 2.30pm on Wednesday 30th March. If you are interested in taking part please register for VentureFest here